Policies for enrollment into department courses
To ensure equity in student enrollment and support degree completion, the University of California, Davis utilizes block enrollment periods. These pass times are generated by the registrar's office. A students' enrollment date/time can be located on their OASIS portal.
Pass 1 Enrollment:
- Limited to a MAX of 17 units.
- Students are encouraged to enroll into their major coursework required for graduation during this time.
Pass 2 Enrollment:
- Limited to a MAX of 19 units.
- Students are able to waitlist courses.
- Enrollment in up to 28.5 units allowed.
- Enrollment restrictions may be lifted during this time.
- Students are able to modify their coursework, even after their designated pass time.
- Petition to add (PTA)
- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE) adheres to strict enrollment policies and does not guarantee enrollment into a course if you are currently on the waitlist. Please plan accordingly.
Students must be a graduating senior who has an extenuating circumstance related to graduation and are currently on the waitlist for the course they are requesting (NO EXCEPTIONS).
- I.E. – A mechanical or aerospace engineering senior may be eligible for PTA number for core/required courses (not elective courses) if they have filed for graduation, or if the course is not offered again before their expected graduation date.
A PTA will not be issued for the following reasons:
- A change of major
- Classes dropped due to non-payment of fees
- Classes dropped accidentally
- Completion of degree requirements for institutions other than UC Davis
- Time conflicts with other classes (unless you receive an exception from your instructors, the course does not have a waitlist, and the class room capacity allows it)
- Missing Pass 1 (students may still enroll during open hours)
- The class is listed on your academic plan for the current quarter
- Completing the major (if you have other opportunities to take the course and it does not delay your graduation beyond the usual graduation timeline such as attempting early graduation)
- Elective course for completing a major (if you have other options/opportunities to take the course)
- Completing MAE classes for other university requirements
- Circumventing course registration restrictions (ex. Pass 1 registration restricted to MAE majors)
- This course is recommended for a job, internship, research position, or admission to a graduate program
- To maintain full-time status and/or receive financial aid
- To meet the minimum progress requirement
- To repeat a failed course
Requesting a PTA
If a student has met the eligibility requirements listed above, you may contact MAEughelp@ucdavis.edu with the subject, CONFIRMATION: PTA Policy Read, and our advisors will respond your next steps. NOTE: Approved PTA numbers will not be issued until the scheduling adjustment period.
- Graduate students who would like to enroll into MAE undergraduate courses:
- Please contact the MAE undergraduate program coordinator with the undergraduate course(s) you are interested in. PTA numbers will not be issued until the scheduling adjustment period if there are seats available in the course.
- Non-major student enrollment
- Many of our undergraduate courses have major restrictions for Pass 1 enrollment. If you are not a EMEC/EASE major, you will not be eligible to enroll during this time.
There are some courses that release to other student populations during the 2nd pass enrollment period. Please refer to Schedule Builder for more information. You may also attend our same day appointments to speak with a MAE advisor if you have any additional questions.